Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins


1. “Hunger Games,” are a group of events in which children are sent off to fight other children from different districts, (similar to future cities). Each district makes something different, such as electronics, textiles, and luxury items. The competitors are placed in an arena where they battle in extreme environments. Twenty four children fight against one another to become the victor of the Hunger Games bringing great honor to themselves and their district. The Hunger Games are the main event of the story. The action in the story is a combination of both emotional and physical action. The two main characters develop a close emotional relationship while the fighting is a very physical action. Throughout the games, Katniss, who initially was confused about her relationship with Peeta, learns she does love him as much he loves her.

2. The action in the story could be realistic. In comparison to other action stories, which involve fantasy, this story uses real life weapons and situations instead of magical weapons and powers. The characters are believable because the reader can connect with them. Their emotions are similar to ours. Also, their situations are similar to ours. The districts are similar to cities in our world.

3. The hunger games are full of suspense. Each day you aren’t sure what will happen. Someone could die, or live another day. They could be severely injured of sick. They could also be cured and healed. This is a very suspenseful book.

4. I can relate to the main character, Peeta, who is the son of a baker. I can imagine being in charge of helping his dad bake and trade the bread to other people in the districts. I can also imagine my world crashing down when my name is picked to enter the hunger games. I can understand the idea of being on top of the world and then having the whole world crumble beneath my feet. In the story, Peetas survival technique is to allow the others to believe he is in love with Katniss so that they will get more sponsors and more supplies. It is his way of getting the sympathy of the audience. If I were Peeta, I would have been more nervous and panicked more. I would have made everyone feel that I was the weakling in the group so that I could get pity and then I would take advantage of that and use it to defeat the others.

5. The story takes place in the future in a place named Panem. Panem is a country made up of 12 districts. The capitol can be compared to Washington, DC, except the government ruled by a group of people called the capitol. The story is set in the future but it could actually take place any time as long as there is people. Although it is better set in the future.

6. I’m glad that I don’t live in a country that is ruled by one “evil” group.

7. The writing in an action adventure stories is different from other types of writing. There are many verbs used to show the action in the story.

8. In 2012 a film of the book is coming out. I think it will translate well into film, however, it will be difficult to do because of all of the technology that happens in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment